Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting imported textures | Is there a workaround?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting imported textures | Is there a workaround?

Hi there,

making an interior? You'd probably need some books. That's why I recently bought a 700 piece set. The format I could use in Rhino is an OBJ with linked maps and materials.

The problem - these materials are no V-Ray mats. That's why I have not much control of their apperence and also cannot override them for a clay model preview/setup.
    The question - is there any workaround to convert said materials into V-Ray mats? To be honest, I'd really appreciate not having to make 700 new materials...

Thanks in advance.
    Greetz
    Helldoor Visual Studio

Hi, _visconvertrhinomat will do the trick.

but, if you are using vray 3 beta, i wil use a multisubtex map in the diffuse layer and load al the book textures in one single material.

then you can assign one single material to all the books, and change the texture assigning a different object id in the proprieties.

Comment

Originally posted by Grigio18 View Post

but, if you are using vray 3 beta, i wil use a multisubtex map in the diffuse layer and load al the book textures in one single material.

then you can assign one single material to all the books, and change the texture assigning a different object id in the proprieties.
      Wow, thanks! I'm so glad, I don't have to do it manually. Could you be so kind and write a bit more about the steps you'd make, using the Multisubtex Map, as I am not really able to find a lot info about the workflow. If I get it right, as a first step, I should the _visconvertrhinomat command to become V-Ray materials out of the imported ones and anfter that, in a second step, combina all those converted mats under one MultiMat?
      Helldoor Visual Studio

Comment

Wait, you have 2 options here:
        1) _visconvertrhinomat , but you end with hundreds of materials in the material editor...
        2) multisub tex: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...O/MultiSub+Tex

Comment

That's what I did. I made a new Generic Material and selected MultiSubTex for the diffuse layer. Now I'm asked to add textures to the texture list. But I have none, as the materials I have are no V-Ray/Rhino materials...
          Helldoor Visual Studio

Comment

you have to add only the textures , you don't need materials..search for the folder where you have all the books textures...

Comment

The 700 Textures - one by one, right?
              Helldoor Visual Studio

Comment

do you need all of them?
                You can drag and drop the textures.

Where did you found a collection of 700 books?

Comment

Turbosquid. I already have other models bought from there and even if they weren't Rhino ones, I always managed to revive/rebuild and reapply the textures myself. In the case of 700 books/materials however...
                  Helldoor Visual Studio

Comment

Originally posted by Helldoor View Post
                    The problem - these materials are no V-Ray mats. That's why I have not much control of their apperence and also cannot override them for a clay model preview/setup.
                    The question - is there any workaround to convert said materials into V-Ray mats? To be honest, I'd really appreciate not having to make 700 new materials...
                    P - could you not global enable "override material" and create a clay material with the name Vrayoverridematerial? Vray is using this material for the override.
                    Q - Why not using the Rhino mat? What you like to change?
                    www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Originally posted by Micha View Post
                      P - could you not global enable "override material" and create a clay material with the name Vrayoverridematerial? Vray is using this material for the override.
                      Q - Why not using the Rhino mat? What you like to change?
                      P - you're absolutely right; I just assumed I cannot control other than V-Ray materials with the 'override material' command, my bad;
                      Q - well, some books, like picture albums for example, have preferably glossy 'jackets', while others have matt covers... I want to be able to control change that; Also V-Ray mats are said to render quicker than non V-Ray mats.
                      Helldoor Visual Studio

Comment

You could try to adjust the glossy per rhino material. If you get noise problem you could try the old Vray "universal setup".
                        www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Working...
                        X